Burmeister & Wain Energy A/S
It All Began in 1843
BWE dates back to a period when Denmark’s industrial development had not yet gained momentum. The company was founded in 1843 when a young and enterprising engineer, Hans Heinrich Baumgarten, was awarded a royal license to establish a machine shop in Copenhagen.
As the skilled and creative technician he was, Baumgarten was soon swamped with orders, and 1846 he went into partnership with Carl Christian Burmeister. In the years that followed, they designed numerous steam engines, steam boilers, central heating systems and paper machines - all of a quality regarded as the epitome of high technology of the time.
Baumgarten retired in 1861 and was succeeded in 1865 by an Englishman, William Wain, who entered the business as a partner. Burmeister & Wain was founded seven years later and became Denmark’s largest and most important enterprise in the iron industry and a company of international dimensions.
Since 1852, Burmeister & Wain has supplied steam generating plants for industry and power stations. It is thus the oldest manufacturer of steam boilers in the world. In 1955 Burmeister & Wain acquired a license for the Benson once-through boiler design and has since then been one of the leading companies for advanced boiler designs. The biggest boiler so far, with 2,000 tons steam pr. hour, was delivered to Asnaes Power Station. The latest design in form of the Ultra Super Critical boiler design for Avedore Power Station has set a new world record for fossil fuel fired steam power stations with its 49 percent efficiency.
The extensive know-how gathered by the company has created the solid foundation for the continued development of the BWE products - to the benefit of customers around the world.
In 2002 BWE became member of the Italian STF S.p.A. Group.
On 6 February 2017, BWE was acquired by Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor A/S. www.bwsc.com